Sunday, March 11, 2007

You Gotta Believe

I have been told by more than one internet foodie that quinoa is must-try. And I even went as far as to buy some from the natural foods store a while back, but for some reason I never got around to trying to make it. Well, determined to try some healthier fare, I decided to try to make some today.

The results were mixed. I think I overcooked it or put too much water in the pot because the texture of the quinoa was quite mushy--I'm not sure, but I don't think it's supposed to be that way. That said, the flavor was very good. I liked the nutty, earthy flavor of the quinoa. I prepared a dressing of lime juice, olive oil, ground cumin, and salt; then tossed the quinoa with the dressing, along with black beans, corn, green peppers, and cilantro. It wasn't perfect, but I was left wanting to try to make quinoa again--so that's something of a victory, no?

*I should mention that the photo in the background is one of my favorites. It was taken eleven years ago (cripes, I can't believe it's been that long) when my husband graduated from grad school.

4 comments:

Mike Eberhart said...

Perhaps it was overcooked or something like you said, because I can definitely vouch for how wonderful it is! I love quinoa! :)

Laura makes it for me all the time. Both the traditional variety (like what your used) and the Inca-red variety. We typically have it prepared something like this herb, garlic, and pepper quinoa recipe, but I also like it with just GF soy sauce on it for a quick dish (I eat it like I would rice).

So, definitely experiment a little more with it. Hopefully you'll end up enjoying it as much as I do.

Flamenco Mom said...

Thanks, Mike. I'm not giving up on quinoa yet; I've just got to learn how to cook it correctly. I did like the taste of it, so I may become a quinoa lover after all.

Lynn Barry said...

Way to go! I still have mixed feelings about it. I think I like it but I don't ever feel like making it. Does that make ANY SENSE AT ALL? No. It is supposed to be so good for you and that is reason enough to try to make it work. Again, way to go!
The pic is gorgeous, BTW, you haven't changed a bit. HUGS

Flamenco Mom said...

Lynn, believe me I felt the same way about trying it. I'm not sure how long that quinoa was languishing in a ziploc bag in my fridge before I actually got to making it. And for heaven's sake, how many times to do have to rinse it?

Thanks for the compliment on the photo too. I'm lucky to have blessed with good genes; well, you've seen my mom--she's a hottie. I hope to be like her when I grow up. LOL!