Thursday, March 15, 2007

One Bite and I'm Back at Grandma's

Last night I made some yummy Puerto Rican fare, and today I had the pleasure of eating the leftovers for lunch. I roasted some pork(this time it was Boston Butt), which was prepared with a marinade of vinegar, olive oil, garlic, onion, salt, pepper, oregano, and cumin. Then I made some steamed white rice. I served it with a side of pink beans, which was cooked in a tomato sauce with some diced potatoes, pimiento olives, and sauteed sofrito, which is a traditional ingredient in Puerto Rican stews and sauces. Everybody makes it a little different, but the basics are onions, peppers, cilantro, garlic and recao (when available) pureed in a blender with a bit of olive oil. That's it. My mother-in-law makes it in large batches and freezes it, or gives extras to my husband's siblings. Occasionally Becky will add some sweet chile peppers called aji dulce she finds at the Latin market. Recao is a green stemmed herb found in Latin or Oriental markets.

3 comments:

Lynn Barry said...

Oh my gosh...this looks SO good, I wish I lived next door to you and just happened to stop at in at...lunchtime. HUGS

Flamenco Mom said...

Anytime you want to stop by for lunch is fine by me. Of course, for company I would whip up a batch of fried sweet plantains too! HUGS

CookingDiva - Chef Melissa said...

Simplemente delicioso! A big hug from Panama!