Friday, March 09, 2007

What IS in your food?

Inspired by my buddy Lynn at Free to Eat--and fueled by my hankering for pie--I decided to contact Bird's Eye Foods to ask whether their Comstock brand pie filling is gfcf. I e-mailed them this morning, and here was their reply:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us about Comstock Pie Fillings.
All of the Comstock pie fillings are gluten free. The modified food starch listed in the ingredient statement is corn starch. All of our fruit pie fillings are casein free. You will want to avoid the cream pie fillings, as some of them contain milk.


We value you as a consumer and appreciate your concern.

Sincerely,

Consumer Relations

Birds Eye Foods


I was wondering what to do with those cans of cherry pie filling my mother-in-law bought. Of course, by the time Bird's Eye got back to me I had already cranked out one apple pie, which I'll post shortly. Next up after that is cherry pie baby!

3 comments:

Sheri said...

Stated a la Homer Simpson..."Mmm.....Pie...."

Lynn Barry said...

This is awesome! When I read modified food starch I assume it is wheat, I do avoid corn but am not as uptight about using that as the forbidden hidden gluten.
Thanks! :) Pie time!

Flamenco Mom said...

I am always concerned about feeding Zoe food with that mysterious "modified food starch" ingredient. I always think, "What the heck is that?", and it's not worth it to me to find out by accident if it has wheat or not. So rather than make the pie with the premade stuff and hope Miss Z didn't get sick on it I figured it was best to get the info directly from the source. Now I can finally use those cans of pie filling and not have to worry. Enjoy the pie!