Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Opa!!

I found a delicious recipe for a Greek Lentil and Pasta in the current issue of Heart Healthy Living. Since I love beans and legumes--and since they are so good for you--I decided to give it a try. I made a few minor changes to the original recipe. The recipe called for an onion--I presume a white or Spanish onion--but I used a red one. Also the recipe called for a can of diced tomato. Instead, I used a can of fire-roasted crushed tomatoes. It was fantastic; a delicious lunch. And meatless! I'm not a vegetarian, but I think it's a nice idea to change things up and not have meat all the time. Besides, my doctor friends would say that eating too much meat has links to all types of long-term health risks. Wow, I think I'm really starting to take this health kick thing seriously!

Greek Lentil Pasta

5 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced (2 1/2 cups)
1 large red onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup olive oil
1 pound dry brown lentils, rinsed and drained
1 28-ounce can fire roasted crushed tomatoes, undrained
2 8-ounce cans no-salt-added tomato sauce
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
hot cooked gluten free pasta
olive oil

1. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven cook carrots, onion, and garlic in the 1/4 cup hot oil over med-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Add lentils and 5 cups water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 30 to 35 minutes or until lentils are tender.
2. Add undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce, thyme, salt, and pepper. Return to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, about 30 minutes or until desired consistency.
3. Cook your favorite gluten free pasta according to package directions. For each serving, top 1 cup pasta with 3/4 cup lentil sauce and drizzle with 1 teaspoon additional olive oil. Makes 12 cups sauce.

5 comments:

Muggle Mom said...

sounds yummy! i'm going to try this out!

mugglemom78.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Oh yum! I am so going to try this sometime soon!

http://newlywife.herhangout.com

Michelle Nelson Beaulieu said...

found your blog through freetoeat. Think you are a great writer, looking forward to reading on.....

The lentil pasta sounds yummy, I think I will try it out.

Lynn Barry said...

I've only tried to make lentil soup. This looks yummy! HUGS

Flamenco Mom said...

Hi Mugglemom, thanks for stopping by. I can only guess what your favorite books are...they're among my favorites too.

Hey Jia...I'm mailing something out to you today. Thanks for visiting my blog. Checked yours today--I really like it.

Hi Meesh. It 's great to meet you. Thanks for visiting.

Hi Lynn. I love lentils--since I like them so much I thought I should try to find other recipes for them. This one was great, but I've also made a Lebanese rice and lentil dish which was excellent.