Thursday, March 22, 2007

A Berry Good Spring

Never in my wildest dreams did I think that I'd be eating delicious, ripe strawberries in March. I am blessed, because February-March is the height of strawberry season here in Florida. There is a strawberry festival in a nearby town, which just concluded last week. Yes, we went to the festival; no, I did not get to visit the booth where you make your own strawberry shortcake. Boo hoo.

It's always a good idea to eat seasonally and locally if you can. The flavors are just so crisp and refreshing. My mother-in-law's dear friend Amanda went strawberry picking today and was nice enough to bring us a rather large bowl of berries. Oh, how sweet they are. A lovely end to a lovely day.

4 comments:

Lynn Barry said...

You are quite the artist with your pics. This bowl makes me salivate. Love it! HUGS

Anonymous said...

I can't believe I forgot about the Strawberry Festival!!!! Although sometimes my fear of losing my 'spirited' two year old at events like that tend to put me off. Glad you had a great time - ***off to buy some strawberries***

Flamenco Mom said...

Lynn,
Thank you! I have to say, it didn't take much to make these strawberries look good. They were absolutely lovely, and they photographed very well. By the way, the bowl in the photo is one of many I purchased in Chinatown in NYC. They are one of the few dishes that survived my move!

Annie, I'm with you--I'm sometimes reluctant to go to the Strawberry Festival because of the sheer volume of people there. Zoe and Ayden can be unpredictable in crowds sometimes. Maybe you can go next year--by then your kiddies will be a little older. And definitely go early in the day; after 1 p.m. the crowds are unbelievable.

Amanda on Maui said...

I'm originally from the town with the Strawberry Festival. I'll be visiting in June. Oh how exciting that you're right by there. That's my hometown. I love to hear mention of it. I do miss some things about it. I miss the strawberry season, though I can get strawberries year round here.