Monday, March 05, 2007

Lemon Love

I know Valentine's Day was last month, but I am in love. In love with these lemon poppy seed muffins I made today. I took a standard muffin recipe, modified the ingredients a bit so they were gfcf, and fifteen minutes later I had a light, fluffy muffin--so not like the hockey pucks I've made in the past.

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins

Ingredients:

2 cups gluten free flour mix
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon lemon juice, plus enough soy milk to equal 1 cup
2/3 cup granulated sugar
6 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 tablespoons grated lemon zest

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease muffin tins. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, xanthan gum, and poppy seeds. In a separate bowl, combine eggs, milk, sugar, oil, vanilla, and lemon zest. Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients, taking care not to overmix--the batter will be slightly lumpy. Fill muffin tins to 2/3 full, and bake for approximately 15 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of muffins comes out clean. Serve warm or room temperature. Makes 15 muffins.

2 comments:

Lynn Barry said...

What is it about the combination of lemon and poppy seeds that is so loveable? This sounds fantastic and I can just use an egg substitute. Thanks! HUGS

~M said...

This looks awesome. My boyfriend has been begging for a lemon poppyseed bread of muffin - gf of course!