Wednesday, November 15, 2006

What? No Pumpkin Pie?

I got a note from Zoe's teacher letting me know that on Monday, her class and the class next door are going to have a Thanksgiving feast. They're asking parents to send in ingredients for the dishes they (the kids) are going to help prepare. The teachers will provide the turkey and plates, etcetera. From what I was able to glean from the note the class will be eating turkey (gravy on the side), cranberry sauce, stuffing, pumpkin pie, green beans and mixed veggies, rolls, and sweet tea. The teacher added on my note to let her know what Zoe could eat from the list, and informed me that I could send substitutes that are appropriate for my daughter to eat.

Man, I love her teacher. She's really good about giving me the heads-up on these things early so I can prepare. I'm going to need all the time I can get, because 99% of that menu is off limits to my kid.

My idea is to make some side dishes that I can send portions of to school and freeze the rest, so I can take them with us when we go to Thanksgiving at my sister-in-law's. Both the school Thanksgiving feast and the dinner with my in-laws will feature items that are either laden with butter or stuff that's got both gluten and casein. Hey, can't say I blame them; I loves me some rolls with butter, and don't even get me started on how much I love stuffing.

So here are some of the ideas I've come up with so far:

GFCF cornbread stuffing
Veggies with no butter
GFCF rolls
Chocolate cake

I know, pumpkin pie is conspicuously absent from my list. There's a good reason. Last year after my daughter realized that she couldn't eat pumpkin pie (which is a Thanksgiving staple), she insisted that I come up with a recipe for it and make one especially for her. After all, it's tradition! So I labored long and hard and made a delicious soy pumpkin pie with a rice crust. It looked, smelled and and tasted quite good. I put a slice of pie on a plate and handed it to my precious firstborn, she took a bite, looked at me and said, "I don't like it." She at that moment realized that she didn't like cinnamon; and seeing as how cinnamon is a major player in pumpkin pie, that meant no pumpkin pie for Zoe. Fortunately my husband and son eat anything I put in front of them; they made short work of that pie.

Speaking of pies, I have been asked by my sister-in-law to bring some pies to her dinner. I'm going to be a busy girl come next week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a thoughtful teacher indeed.
I am hooked on my pumpkin cookies and made them earlier in the week with raisins and pecans. But they have cinnamon so no for Zoe.
HUGS

Anonymous said...

You might want to check out Natural Feast which make yummy gluten-free pies. The pumpkin pie alas has cinnamon, but they also have apple-cranberry.