Monday, April 16, 2007

Getting Over My Split Pea Aversion

I spent the first 30 years of my life avoiding split pea soup. Why, you ask? Two words, people: The Exorcist. The images of Linda Blair, with the head spinning and projectile...well, you know...were enough to leave me emotionally scarred, and repulsed by the sight of split pea soup. Once I finally got over it and gave the soup a try I realized that it was delicious.

This weekend we got hit with a downpour, and the rainy days left me in the mood for soup. I had a bag of split peas in the pantry, as well as a bit of leftover Easter ham in the freezer. Put 'em together and it was a perfect tummy-warming treat. Flamenco Dad had some for lunch today, and the first words out of his mouth were "Hell yea!" Appropriate.

Split Pea Soup

1 large onion, peeled and diced

1 carrot, peeled and diced

2 Tbs. garlic, minced

1 Tbs. olive oil

1 lb. dried split peas, rinsed and picked over

1 cup diced ham

10 cups water

1 Tbs. dried thyme leaves

salt, as needed

pepper, as needed

Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Add onion, carrot, and garlic, and sweat until onion appears transclucent. Add dried thyme leaves and stir for a minute. Add the ham, peas, and water. Bring ingredients to a boil, then lower heat, cover, and simmer for about an hour. Add pepper to taste, then salt as needed. Note that the ham may be omitted for vegetarian split pea soup.

1 comment:

Lynn Barry said...

Yummy yummy, BUT I know exactly what you mean and it took me a long time after I had a major health problem to eat tomato, split pea and even chicken soup...I won't explain, it is sickening. Lookin' good, my friend...yup, like you wrote about the pizza, I wish I could stop by for a bowl of this "hell yeah" super soup! HUGS