Saturday, February 03, 2007

Spicy Pineapple Chicken

I was browsing the Food Network site, looking for a different way to roast some chicken for dinner last night. Now it's no secret that I love pineapple--and tropical flavors in general--so when I found this recipe by the Two Hot Tamales, I knew I had found a perfect match.

I did not grill or broil the chicken, as the recipe recommends. I roasted the chicken pieces in a shallow pan at 450 degrees. I added some chopped red pepper and onion to the pan for some added color and flavors. In addition, I added some pineapple chunks to the roasting pan--a very tasty addition. It was delicious; served with a green salad, and it was a light, summery meal--not your typical winter fare.

Spicy Pineapple Marinade for Chicken
recipe from M.S. Milliken and S. Feniger

1/2 medium ripe pineapple, peeled, cored, coarsely chopped
2 jalapeno chilies, seeded, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon grated lime peel
8 chicken breast halves (with skin and bones)
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons honey

Puree pineapple, jalapenos and garlic in blender until almost smooth. Add pineapple juice, lime juice, cilantro and lime peel and process until blended. Pour marinade into large glass baking dish. Add chicken, turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate 4 to 6 hours.

Prepare barbecue or preheat broiler. Remove chicken from marinade. Season with salt and pepper. Pour 1/2 cup marinade into small bowl. Whisk in honey. Brush mixture over chicken. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Grill or broil until cooked through, turning frequently.

3 comments:

Lynn Barry said...

Sweet and spicy! Boy, does this sound fantastic. Thanks!

Attila the Mom said...

Wow, I never thought about using pinapple along with jalapenos in a marinade before. I can't wait to try it!

Jasmine said...

Looks good! I'm doing pork with pineapple tonight, and thanks to you, I might just get bold and try some peppers in mine!